This is a common skin disease in children. It is so common that people have given it a few names: eczema, dermatitis, atopic eczema and atopic dermatitis.
Some factors that may increase your risk of getting eczema may include:
- Family: If your mom, dad, brothers, or sisters have eczema, you might get it too.
- Asthma and allergies: If you have asthma (a disease that can make it hard to breathe) or allergies (when your immune system tries to protect you from normal things that aren't hurting you), you're more likely to get eczema.
- Where you live: Eczema is more common in cities, polluted areas and in the northern part of the world.
Common triggers are:
- Animal dander and saliva.
- Scratchy clothes.
- Sweating a lot.
- Household cleaning products.
- Fruit juices.
- A cough, cold, or the flu.
Treatment cannot cure eczema, but it can help to control it. Treatment can control itching, reduce redness, prevent infections and stop the skin from thickening.
If you are suffering from eczema, give us a call at (316) 612-1833 . We will create a treatment plan tailored to your needs.